Over the past few years, the popularity of CBD has skyrocketed. This is due to the fact that it’s highly effective for wellness. However, one thing that a lot of people worry about are the potential side effects of using CBD? This article offers a comprehensive review of the potential side effects of CBD oil and its safety in pets such as dogs.
What is CBD Oil?
CBD is a cannabidiol extract that is mixed with a carrier oil such as MCT coconut oil. This highly versatile organic product can be effective in managing a broad range of health complications. This is because it has numerous medicinal properties that are effective for emotional, mental, and physical health.
Why Do People Use It?
There are many health benefits of CBD oil and that’s why a lot of people use it. The organic compound is continuously proving itself to be an effective remedy for a number of illnesses. So, why exactly do people opt to use CBD instead of clinical medications?
Effective for Anxiety and Depression
These are some of the most common mental health issues. However, both anxiety and depression have no cure. Although most patients normally use clinical medications to manage them, it’s possible for the conditions to worsen. Note that clinical medications are also habit-forming and they can easily get addictive.
CBD, on the other hand, isn’t habit-forming. You can use it for a longer period without even depending on it. Additionally, the organic compound has power anti-anxiety and anti-depressant properties that make it a suitable alternative.
Manages Pain and Inflammation
Anecdotal evidence suggests that CBD can help people to manage chronic pain and inflammation. Due to its lack of intoxicating effects and potentially lower side effects, it’s a good alternative to most pain medications.
Its ability to interact with the pain receptors in the endocannabinoid system slows the body’s chemical response to pain. In addition to that, it has anti-inflammatory properties. This makes it effective in treating inflammation and reducing pain.
In terms of pain, research also established that subjects who use CBD are less likely to build tolerance. So, this can be a useful remedy for those who are dealing with chronic and painful conditions that have no cure. This includes diseases such as cancer and arthritis.
There are so many other uses of CBD including the following:
- Managing of drug addiction and drug withdrawal symptoms
- Treating seizures
- Reducing the effects of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s Disease
- Treating skin complications such as acne and psoriasis
Research on CBD Possible Side Effects
Research about the effectiveness of CBD is still limited. This is because of the limited financial resources that are currently set aside for the study. Besides that, there is still the stigma associated with the use of marijuana and THC, some of the closest relatives of the CBD from hemp.
A peer-reviewed study that was done in 2017 indicates that there are still some important toxicological parameters that need to be studied. For instance, the effects of CBD on hormones. Generally, there are so many theories regarding the cause of CBD oil side effects.
According to the available research reports, one of the potential reasons is the extraction process. This is because most low-quality CBD oils are usually extracted with cheap solvents that are harmful. So, if anyone is allergic to the solvents or unwanted compounds, they will definitely end up with possible side effects.
Besides that, some studies also point fingers to the source of the hemp plant. Where is it grown and what are the farming process used? It should be noted that CBD is a bio-accumulator. This means that in case a farmer uses poor farming practices that involve the use of pesticides and herbicides, then the end product will be harmful. Hemp plants which are the main sources of CBD have the potential of absorbing chemicals as well as heavy metals from the soil.
These are the key sources of possible side effects. However, we understand that different people respond to similar things uniquely. So, if CBD may effectively work for one person, it doesn’t mean that the results will be similar to the next person.
What Are The Side Effects of Using CBD Oil?
Day in day out, items made of CBD oil are becoming very popular. Although CBD doesn’t have intoxicating properties, it has the potential of causing side effects. The type of side effects also depends on how you use the CBD product.
It’s commonly used by those who want lasting effects of CBD. Note that CBD edibles are also delicious and they can be used to provide discreetness. Oral consumption of CBD can result in potential side effects such as:
- Dry Mouth: It usually occurs as a result of CBD’s interaction with the salivary glands and reduces the production of saliva which consequently leads to the dry mouth effect. However, you can manage this condition by drinking water before, during, and after using the CBD edible.
- Low Blood Pressure: Research studies indicate that a high dose of CBD can significantly lower blood pressure. This has been typically observed. The blood pressure usually goes lower a couple of minutes after taking high doses of CBD.
- Drowsiness: One of the reasons why people use CBD is due to its effectiveness in changing sleep patterns. However, high doses of CBD can induce drowsiness and lead to wakefulness.
- Diarrhea: Research studies normally link the effects to other ingredients in the CBD product. One of them is said to be carrier oils such as coconut oil which has a high probability of causing gastrointestinal distress. Other contaminants such as butane or hexane used in the manufacturing process can lead to loose stools and diarrhea.
- Inhibit of Metabolism of Certain Drugs: CBD can inhibit the hepatic drug metabolism that’s responsible for the breakdown of most pharmaceutical drugs. The compound normally neutralizes enzyme cytochrome P-450 in the liver which is responsible for the metabolism of drugs.
- Fatigue: This occasionally happens as a result of consuming high doses of CBD. The side reaction is why CBD is effective in promoting sleep because it sometimes causes drowsiness and fatigue. That’s why it’s not advisable to use CBD if you are going to drive or handle heavy machinery.
The topical application of CBD mainly affects the skin. This normally happens as a result of allergic reactions. Potential side effects of topical CBD include redness, skin rashes, dryness, and others. It should be noted that these side effects are rare and it’s uncommon to overdose on topical CBD.
Vape CBD Oil
The main issue with vaping is inhaling of the toxic contaminants that are carcinogenic. That’s why it’s important to choose a high-quality vape oil if you are keen on vaping. Besides that, reports indicate that vape juices can also lead to allergic reactions that can result in:
- Shortness of breath
- Dizziness and
How Can I Reduce the Possibility of Experiencing the Potential Side Effects of CBD?
To reduce your chances of developing unwanted side effects, first, consider the CBD product. Quality is very important hence you should only go for an organic and pure CBD product. Other important verification information that you should go for include:
- The method of CBD extraction should be the supercritical CO2 method. It’s highly effective in reducing the risk of contamination.
- Check for 3rd-party lab reports in order to determine the amount of CBD content present in the product. Note that lab reports also indicate the availability of contaminants and other toxic materials.
- Consider the ingredient list. CBD products generally need to have a significantly low number of other ingredients. Note that most of them usually contain MCT oil that acts as a binder.
Note: if you are unsure of the effectiveness of the product, always look for customer reviews online. This will help you to understand the potential risks that come with using such a product. You can get more information relating to the side effects of CBD here.
The Safety of CBD & CBD Products
The potential side effects of CBD oil is what normally deters most people. However, cannabis is generally known to be a safe alternative to natural medicine. Reviews and research studies indicate that up to now, there are zero deaths that have occurred as a result of using CBD.
Research reports indicate that the herb has a low safety risk. If you compare CBD oil with substances such as nicotine and alcohol in terms of toxicity, it’s the least harmful. CBD is also not psychoactive, unlike THC which normally alters the way the mind functions.
CBD interacts with the endocannabinoid system by acting with the CB1 and CB2 receptors. However, people react differently to it. That’s why although it generally has a good safety profile, it has the potential of still causing unwanted side effects.
Are They Safe for Pet & Other Animals?
In its pure and organic state, CBD is generally safe for animals. That’s why you will find products such as CBD for Dogs or even CBD Dog Treats. The safety of CBD for pets is even supported by the World Health Organization in its 2017 report.
However, some subsequent studies indicate that the organic compound isn’t 100% safe. For instance, canine studies in 2018 indicate that CBD for pets can lead to an increase in the level of liver enzyme alkaline phosphate.
Besides that, a study by McGrath indicates that the compound worsens existing medical conditions. This includes conditions such as liver disease. According to McGrath, pet owners should exercise caution, especially if they are giving their pets CBD while they are on medications. This is because it is still unclear about how CBD interacts with certain medications. It should be noted that the CBD market is still not under regulation. So in terms of quality control, there are a lot of things that need to be done to ensure that the products are safe.
Is CBD Legal?
CBD oil is now legal for adults in Canada. Although it’s still off-limits to most countries, it’s also legal federally in all the 50 states in America. After the passing of the 2018 Farm Bill, CBD and its products became legal. This means that any adult can buy it without a prescription.
However, there is a catch. The CBD oil product needs to come from industrial hemp plants. In addition to that, it needs to have less than 0.3% THC. But you will find that the state laws sometimes differ with the federal laws. There are few states in the US where CBD is still illegal. To be safe, make sure that you understand your state laws before making purchases.
According to WHO, CBD has a good safety profile. However, this doesn’t eliminate the fact that it can cause possible side effects. Whether you use CBD orally, vape it, or apply it topically, there are chances of still experiencing the downsides. However, if your arm yourself with the right information, buy quality products, and use the right CBD dosage, then the potential is quite low. Additionally, it’s important that you first consult with your doctor before using any CBD oil product.